Skip to main content

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18". 
Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.




I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.



I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale.
I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!


 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing

Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.


Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing


My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it!
I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.




I also bought parachute clips and cut small pieces to fit through those.



Like this:


I sewed the lining pieces together.


Then I sewed the velour pieces together, and started to figure out how to join them by the zipper.


I pinned the zipper I picked out from the house-dress and pinned it to both of the front and lining pieces of fabric.



Whrrrrrrrrrrr!
I topstiched it also so the zipper would lay more flat.




I tucked the lining in, and sewed the straps on.
I made a little front pocket piece too.


Click!


I really like the way it turned out, and my daughter loves to use it for sleepovers!

See you next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Gown not just for Graduates Anymore

This discarded, and loved-no-more graduation gown was calling to me from the thrift store rack. It was perfect for this time of year when teachers say goodbye tearfully to some, and not-so-tearfully to others.  But we love them all anyway.  Heeeeey!  Over here!  Buy me and give me a new life!! So I did. Sally liked the dress much better once I picked off those sleeves! She thought it was a perfect resting spot. I chopped the bottom a bit, folded it twice because it was fray-fray-central, and I hemmed it all up.  I could use the chopped off bottom piece as a belt  or use an existing one.  Choices.... The dress is all white so this time, I decided to go with a darker brown belt,  and some metallic sandals. Congrats and good luck  to all the 2015 graduates!  I'm ready for the ceremony! See you next time!

Red Romper Red Romper

My beautiful daughter took this picture of this less than beautiful dress. I thrifted it for a few dollars a long while back. I picked apart the skirt andplaced a pants pattern in its place. Picked off the sleeves and cuffs. Whole lotta sleeves! Extra fabric to make a sash belt. I found the center of the cuffs and pinned it for reference. You will see what I do with them! Bias tape around the sleeves and attached the cuffs. Check out the sleeves! Its actually the cuffs! I love my new romper! See you next time!

Studio Trashed to Re-Fashed

I am so grateful to have this amazing space in my basement to create, sew, paint, nap ( Ha! Nap! Wishful thinking), whatever my heart desires, but it has become overwhelmed with STUFF!  All stuff I need mind you...but I think it might be time for a studio-refashion! Look at this mess! More mess.   I have a chandelier in my studio,  thanks to my Sister- in-Law and Bro-in-Law  updating their dining room. Recycle all the way baby!   I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of art....there's worse things for sure! My In-Laws had their kitchen upgraded, and they had a few extra cabinets left over.  They are super awesome, and let me have them for my studio! Wahoo! STORAGE!!!!   The hubs and I hung them up over spring break. That was hilarious because neither of us really knew what to do. We did it though! And no fighting believe it or not!  A little rearranging. A bit of organization, and Voila! Still messy, but a huge improvement! See you