Skip to main content

Art Teacher Dress #3 :The Crayola Dress

This is a pillowcase that I found for about $0.50 at Goodwill. It was half price day!
I knew that I didn't want the pillowcase, but that crayon patch was the BOMB!!!

I promptly plucked that patch from it's home on the pillowcase, and propelled it towards a new life!

Does anyone know where this could have come from?
It was hand sewn onto the pillowcase. It looks like it had a previous home attached to something else.

Someone took good care if it.

Here's the back in case you were interested.

I bought this strapless dress on half price day as well.
 I originally got it for the fabric, to make a scarf or tote bag.... but something spoke to me!
I knew what I had to do!

I set my machine for fancy stitch #14, and sewed that puppy on my green tube dress.
Off center, and asymmetrically of course! Who wants a crayola patch right in the center? 
Not this girl!

Sewed it on!!

The temperatures here are less than desirable, so in order to wear this to work I must do a bit of layering with a sweater and boots! Yay!

Here's a bit of attitude.

Check out that big ol' patch!

Warm and Art Teachery! 
The wind chill today is -2. 

Have a fantastic and warm day!!!

By the way: The sweater, dress, patch, and belt were all thrifted!
about $6.00!
Not too shabby!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …