Skip to main content

There Once was a T-Shirt

     Almost one month into my no new clothes for a year thing, and I have to say I feel good about it. I feel good about re-using things, and making something that would have gone in a landfill into a part of my wardrobe.

I have way too many clothes anyway, and I am finding new ways to use things.

I have a crush on fellow friend, and bloggers:

Cassie Stephens  and
Jill the refashionista
They have been my motivation to start this blog and to try something new.

Thank you to Cassie who, without her asking me to do a DIY on a scarf  I made for my class lesson, I never would have done this. She gave me the bug...thanks for the cooties Cassie!
Check out my DIY on her awesomely amazing blog

And this T-Shirt re-fashion from Jill I decided to try it myself :

Old T-shirt I haven't worn in a loooong time
The next thing I did was turn the shirt inside out, and sew up the bottom of the shirt.
 There's no going back now!
Not a perfect job, but it will be inside, and no one will be the wiser...uh except you.
I then, cut off the collar, and sleeves. (My husband got me that cool pizza cutter tool for clothes thingy) It's awesome! Very sharp, so be careful! Turn the shirt right side out......
Are you thinking: "Where is she going with this?"

I have summer and farmers markets on the brain, and now I have a re-useable, and washable tote for the all the summer goodies.
This year will be our year...Go Cubs!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …