Skip to main content

Dress Shirt....Literally

I have to tell you, I'm having so much fun refashioning these clothes! I love the fact that I am helping our planet. I love the fact that I'm creating cool projects, and I think most of all, I love that I'm learning new things each time I sit in front of my sewing machine.

Ok, here we go...

I found this dress at Goodwill for $1.23. I wasn't sure about it, but for $1.23, I knew I could chance it. I can always use it for fabric if all else fails right? It fit great, but I couldn't just leave it as is.
Pretty, but yellowing.

First things first...I snipped out the shoulder pads! Yuk!
Buh bye.

I knew I wanted to dye it, but I was unsure of what color.
Blue...I like blue.
In the deep blue ya go!!!
I soaked the dress in hot water for about 45 minutes.

Out it came....blaarg!!!
I didn't like it. Plus the dye showed some previous stains or cleaning marks.

See it?

See the blotchyness? 
I wasn't thrilled.
So I decided to dye just the top half green, and just see what happens...Can't hurt? right?

Ugh! Hideous! Not quite the look I was going for
So................ I CUT OFF THE BOTTOM!!!
I hemmed the lining and lace overlay separately.
and.....................

I made a top!
I threw on a belt with some skinnies and flats, and I'm ready to go!
What a difference!
I got many compliments throughout the day! You guys know how to make a gal feel special!
It's pretty easy being green!

 
Until next time!!!!


Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …