Skip to main content

Summer Dresses are Finally Here!

Things are going really well with the No- Off-The-Shelf-New Clothes thing. I'm really starting to love the hunt for something that was once loved by someone else and turning it into something updated and wearable or usable again!

My amazingly strong and wise grandmother is almost 94. She has given me so many wonderful pieces of advice and interesting vintage jewelry, buttons and treasures, that she once loved, and now she passes those treasures onto me so I can make new memories. I hope I can turn her cool stuff into more cool stuff, and pass it onto my daughter, so she can have that cool stuff.  I'm sure you will see parts and findings in this blog from Grams. Thanks Grams, love you!

Today is about this dress: It was about $5.00. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I loved the print.
Too big. Too long. Does nothing for me.

I needed to do something about how big the top was. You can't tell from the photo, but the top of the dress came almost to my chin.

So I folded down a bit, pinned and sewed a new top hem. 

The sides were gaping, and the back was ruched, so I took each side in about 1.5 inches using a zig zag seam.
I made a tiny chop to the bottom, and sewed a new hem.


I used the bottom hem to make some new straps to hold up the dress. I'm not a huge fan of strapless, unless its fits me perfectly. I just feel a bit bit more secure with some straps. 
I sewed the straps using a tight zig zag stitch in two places. This left not so great looking stitches on the front.
So, I decided to hide them with some cool vintage buttons.
Boom! Buttons!
I sewed them on securely with embroidery thread.
Bam!
It ended up looking like this! I like it!
I think it turned out great! My daughter wanted to get in on this picture too!
I might take up the bottom hem another inch or so. I still think it might be a bit too long.
Definitely an improvement!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Gown not just for Graduates Anymore

This discarded, and loved-no-more graduation gown was calling to me from the thrift store rack. It was perfect for this time of year when teachers say goodbye tearfully to some, and not-so-tearfully to others.  But we love them all anyway.  Heeeeey!  Over here!  Buy me and give me a new life!! So I did. Sally liked the dress much better once I picked off those sleeves! She thought it was a perfect resting spot. I chopped the bottom a bit, folded it twice because it was fray-fray-central, and I hemmed it all up.  I could use the chopped off bottom piece as a belt  or use an existing one.  Choices.... The dress is all white so this time, I decided to go with a darker brown belt,  and some metallic sandals. Congrats and good luck  to all the 2015 graduates!  I'm ready for the ceremony! See you next time!

Red Romper Red Romper

My beautiful daughter took this picture of this less than beautiful dress. I thrifted it for a few dollars a long while back. I picked apart the skirt andplaced a pants pattern in its place. Picked off the sleeves and cuffs. Whole lotta sleeves! Extra fabric to make a sash belt. I found the center of the cuffs and pinned it for reference. You will see what I do with them! Bias tape around the sleeves and attached the cuffs. Check out the sleeves! Its actually the cuffs! I love my new romper! See you next time!

Studio Trashed to Re-Fashed

I am so grateful to have this amazing space in my basement to create, sew, paint, nap ( Ha! Nap! Wishful thinking), whatever my heart desires, but it has become overwhelmed with STUFF!  All stuff I need mind you...but I think it might be time for a studio-refashion! Look at this mess! More mess.   I have a chandelier in my studio,  thanks to my Sister- in-Law and Bro-in-Law  updating their dining room. Recycle all the way baby!   I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of art....there's worse things for sure! My In-Laws had their kitchen upgraded, and they had a few extra cabinets left over.  They are super awesome, and let me have them for my studio! Wahoo! STORAGE!!!!   The hubs and I hung them up over spring break. That was hilarious because neither of us really knew what to do. We did it though! And no fighting believe it or not!  A little rearranging. A bit of organization, and Voila! Still messy, but a huge improvement! See you