Skip to main content

Summer Dresses are Finally Here!

Things are going really well with the No- Off-The-Shelf-New Clothes thing. I'm really starting to love the hunt for something that was once loved by someone else and turning it into something updated and wearable or usable again!

My amazingly strong and wise grandmother is almost 94. She has given me so many wonderful pieces of advice and interesting vintage jewelry, buttons and treasures, that she once loved, and now she passes those treasures onto me so I can make new memories. I hope I can turn her cool stuff into more cool stuff, and pass it onto my daughter, so she can have that cool stuff.  I'm sure you will see parts and findings in this blog from Grams. Thanks Grams, love you!

Today is about this dress: It was about $5.00. It's more than I wanted to spend, but I loved the print.
Too big. Too long. Does nothing for me.

I needed to do something about how big the top was. You can't tell from the photo, but the top of the dress came almost to my chin.

So I folded down a bit, pinned and sewed a new top hem. 

The sides were gaping, and the back was ruched, so I took each side in about 1.5 inches using a zig zag seam.
I made a tiny chop to the bottom, and sewed a new hem.


I used the bottom hem to make some new straps to hold up the dress. I'm not a huge fan of strapless, unless its fits me perfectly. I just feel a bit bit more secure with some straps. 
I sewed the straps using a tight zig zag stitch in two places. This left not so great looking stitches on the front.
So, I decided to hide them with some cool vintage buttons.
Boom! Buttons!
I sewed them on securely with embroidery thread.
Bam!
It ended up looking like this! I like it!
I think it turned out great! My daughter wanted to get in on this picture too!
I might take up the bottom hem another inch or so. I still think it might be a bit too long.
Definitely an improvement!



Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …