Skip to main content

Pretty Pleats...(be gone)

My Family and I are still on this journey to NOT buy any new, off the rack clothing for a whole year. We are 3 months in, and I am saving a noticeable amount of cash, and we are helping the environment too. 
This is difficult. I like to shop. I love that new clothes smell when you walk in to a department store, or my favorite...Old Navy, but this is an experiment that I wanted to try. I wanted to test myself. I think it will, and has made me appreciate the clothes I do have, and wear them more. I have definitely been  more creative with outfits. I hope my new found creative outlet has given you some entertainment as well. 

I found this dress at a thrift store in Wisconsin. It was around $2.00, and I just loved the pleated skirt, but not for this decade.

Is this 80's or what?

Cool pleats though. Lots of 'em. 
Off they came with my trusted seam ripper. I'm sure this pleated perfection will make an appearance another time.
This is what it looked like de-pleated. It had two layers that were not the same length. so I trimmed them up.
I decided to make this into a top, but it needed some side vents. I'm not sure if they are called vents, but that's what I'm going with. 
Snip and sew, snip and sew.

I hemmed everything up, no thanks to my cat Kevin.

Kevin would not let me get my sewing done. He wanted some love, well, probably treats.

Final product ready for vacay!

Updated to this decade! 


Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …