Skip to main content

Green Skully Dress

My Grams sent me this beautiful chambray fabric, that I'm sure she rocked out back in the day. I had a considerable amount, so I decided to improve my sewing skills, and make a dress.
I found a pattern from www.Burdastyle.com  (Free of course) I'm not that skilled or confident enough to purchase a pattern yet. I'm still trying out the freebees. I'll buy one eventually, but I just have to work up the courage, and skills.


Here's what I came up with. I really like the top part of this dress. It looks like it has sleeves, but  I didn't have to sew an extra step onto the bodice. I was proud of my accomplishment! Not the best, but I am improving.


The dress seemed a bit too plain, so I decided to add a bit more flair and excitement.

I had this sweater vest that has been in my closet for 5 years or so. I haven't worn it in 2, but I love those skulls. I decided to chop it up and sew it to the dress.  I can still enjoy the print but give it a new life on a different piece of clothing!

Happy little skulls!


I used my pinking roller cutter thing, and cut out those green skullies.
There are 7 skulls. I like odd numbers. It's more aesthetically pleasing. 
Now I have to figure out where they should go on the dress. 


I started pinning the skulls. (I even tried a zipper!) My Grams also send me a bag of zippers! SCORE!

Pinned my skulls on the Back.

Pinned my skulls to the front.


I sewed them all on, and hemmed up the bottom.
Add some tights, boots, and a cardi. I'm all set for the temps these days.

Thanks for taking my "after" pics Julie!


Now you can see the whole dress. 
Front.


Back.


This dress cost me exactly $0. 
Fabric and zipper from Grams, Thread from Pinky, Sweater vest from closet.
I love skulls in October!

BOOM!





Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …