Skip to main content

Fishy Flower Print Dress

This thrifted number was calling to me. I'm not sure why it called to me, but I don't question my inner voice anymore. So I bought it for $2.00

Fishy flower

This summery dress has thick knit fabric with a tiny bit of stretch. I'm holding it, because it was a tad bit tight.

I'm strangely attracted to this print.

When I mentioned that the fabric had a bit of stretch I wasn't talking about the empire waistline. It had NO STRETCH WHATSOEVER!!!! When I had it on it felt like it was strangling me!

I thought this would be more dramatic in black and white.

No stretch!

I knew what to do. First, I chopped the dress right at that no-stretch empire seam!

I noticed two big side slits at the bottom, which leads me to believe that in a past life this dress was a pool cover-up or something? But the fabric is thick...very curious.

I chopped off the seam that was causing all my anti-stretch problems!
I swear you could tow a car with this thing!
Goodbye "rope" seam.

I turned the skirt part inside out and layed it flat.

Then, I put the top part of the dress right side out, inside the skirt, with the cut side lining up with the top of the cut side of the skirt. Get it?

Like this.

I pinned it all together, gathering the extra fabric in a pleated fashion, and stretching as I pinned.

It fit much better! I could breathe now!

I didn't like how much it reminded me of warm weather since the ground is frozen solid here! I wanted to wear it now!

What to do....what to do......

So I dyed it!
Dark Green, and a bit of Cardinal red.
Complimentary colors mixed together make.......BROWN!!!!- ISH
It's earthy, It's winter, It's perfect!

I cut off the bottom just a bit, but I left some of the side vents, and hemmed it up.
I took the extra fabric from the bottom and made a perfectly matching infinity scarf to wear in this chilly weather.

Dramatic in my art room

Yes, I'm hamming it up a bit....

Gotta love pockets!!!
See you next time!!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …