Skip to main content

Sweatshirt to Cardigan

This one's a long one....

I found a white sweatshirt at the local thrift store. It was brand new. It still had the sticker down the front. You know, the kind with the size on it that repeats all the way down.

L

L

L

L
Like that  ^                
It was just too plain to leave alone. I needed to rescue it from it's drab lifestyle, and turn it into something cool and artsy.
I decided to tie the sleeves in knots, and dye it blue.

Sleeve knot torture above.

This is how it came out.

Seems like your everyday run of the mill tie-dye top.
 Better, but still too boring.

I knotted the sleeves back up, and poured some taupe, and red wine dye in various places.
It definitely needed MORE COLORS!
That's better.

 I cut it up the front, and off center because I wanted the closure to be asymmetrical.

Snip!

I put the sweatshirt on, and I marked little X's where my elbows were.

I'm getting ready to put on some sweet elbow patches!!!

Little "X" marks the spot!

I had some dark denim fabric from my Grams, and some iron-on sheets. You can get the iron-on paper at your local fabric or craft store. They are not too expensive, and I think its worth it.

 I put the fabric on the sticky side of the iron on transfer, and then cut out my heart shapes.



I "heart" you!




I then, peeled off the existing layer, and ironed them over the "X" that 
I made on the elbows to perfectly place my elbow pads,


I pinned a strip of  red ribbing all around edge of the sweatshirt.
 I stretched the sweatshirt, and pinned the ribbing as I stretched. 

It ended up looking like this.


It took almost an hour to sew the ribbing on, but it was worth it!
 I wanted to make sure I sewed it on slow and steady.




Here is a close up of the neckline.
I think it turned out pretty cool.


I need to fasten the newly refashioned cardigan somehow, so I sewed on a big ol' snap. (Actually I sewed on 2 snaps!)

OH SNAP!


To hide the unsightly stiches from the snaps, I sewed on some buttons.

Like this...

And like this...

And one extra button to make it look more finished.


It was perfect to wear to a movie and some
 Chinese food on Christmas day with my cute little family!


My ribbon dancer decided to photo bomb!


Showing off the elbow patches!


Happy Holidays everyone!

See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Gown not just for Graduates Anymore

This discarded, and loved-no-more graduation gown was calling to me from the thrift store rack. It was perfect for this time of year when teachers say goodbye tearfully to some, and not-so-tearfully to others.  But we love them all anyway.  Heeeeey!  Over here!  Buy me and give me a new life!! So I did. Sally liked the dress much better once I picked off those sleeves! She thought it was a perfect resting spot. I chopped the bottom a bit, folded it twice because it was fray-fray-central, and I hemmed it all up.  I could use the chopped off bottom piece as a belt  or use an existing one.  Choices.... The dress is all white so this time, I decided to go with a darker brown belt,  and some metallic sandals. Congrats and good luck  to all the 2015 graduates!  I'm ready for the ceremony! See you next time!

Red Romper Red Romper

My beautiful daughter took this picture of this less than beautiful dress. I thrifted it for a few dollars a long while back. I picked apart the skirt andplaced a pants pattern in its place. Picked off the sleeves and cuffs. Whole lotta sleeves! Extra fabric to make a sash belt. I found the center of the cuffs and pinned it for reference. You will see what I do with them! Bias tape around the sleeves and attached the cuffs. Check out the sleeves! Its actually the cuffs! I love my new romper! See you next time!

Studio Trashed to Re-Fashed

I am so grateful to have this amazing space in my basement to create, sew, paint, nap ( Ha! Nap! Wishful thinking), whatever my heart desires, but it has become overwhelmed with STUFF!  All stuff I need mind you...but I think it might be time for a studio-refashion! Look at this mess! More mess.   I have a chandelier in my studio,  thanks to my Sister- in-Law and Bro-in-Law  updating their dining room. Recycle all the way baby!   I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of art....there's worse things for sure! My In-Laws had their kitchen upgraded, and they had a few extra cabinets left over.  They are super awesome, and let me have them for my studio! Wahoo! STORAGE!!!!   The hubs and I hung them up over spring break. That was hilarious because neither of us really knew what to do. We did it though! And no fighting believe it or not!  A little rearranging. A bit of organization, and Voila! Still messy, but a huge improvement! See you