Skip to main content

Sweatshirt to Cardigan

This one's a long one....

I found a white sweatshirt at the local thrift store. It was brand new. It still had the sticker down the front. You know, the kind with the size on it that repeats all the way down.

L

L

L

L
Like that  ^                
It was just too plain to leave alone. I needed to rescue it from it's drab lifestyle, and turn it into something cool and artsy.
I decided to tie the sleeves in knots, and dye it blue.

Sleeve knot torture above.

This is how it came out.

Seems like your everyday run of the mill tie-dye top.
 Better, but still too boring.

I knotted the sleeves back up, and poured some taupe, and red wine dye in various places.
It definitely needed MORE COLORS!
That's better.

 I cut it up the front, and off center because I wanted the closure to be asymmetrical.

Snip!

I put the sweatshirt on, and I marked little X's where my elbows were.

I'm getting ready to put on some sweet elbow patches!!!

Little "X" marks the spot!

I had some dark denim fabric from my Grams, and some iron-on sheets. You can get the iron-on paper at your local fabric or craft store. They are not too expensive, and I think its worth it.

 I put the fabric on the sticky side of the iron on transfer, and then cut out my heart shapes.



I "heart" you!




I then, peeled off the existing layer, and ironed them over the "X" that 
I made on the elbows to perfectly place my elbow pads,


I pinned a strip of  red ribbing all around edge of the sweatshirt.
 I stretched the sweatshirt, and pinned the ribbing as I stretched. 

It ended up looking like this.


It took almost an hour to sew the ribbing on, but it was worth it!
 I wanted to make sure I sewed it on slow and steady.




Here is a close up of the neckline.
I think it turned out pretty cool.


I need to fasten the newly refashioned cardigan somehow, so I sewed on a big ol' snap. (Actually I sewed on 2 snaps!)

OH SNAP!


To hide the unsightly stiches from the snaps, I sewed on some buttons.

Like this...

And like this...

And one extra button to make it look more finished.


It was perfect to wear to a movie and some
 Chinese food on Christmas day with my cute little family!


My ribbon dancer decided to photo bomb!


Showing off the elbow patches!


Happy Holidays everyone!

See you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …