Skip to main content

A Little Bit Conservatve, a Little Bit Rock N Roll

While at the Goodwill with my little peanut, we came across this very conservative, and VERY comfy $0.99 frock. The thicker knit, and the lavender color were calling to me to help this dress become Momma-wearable! I also saw a former art student that was proudly introducing a friend to the wonderful world of thrifting!

 I promised a shout-out! What up? Katie H! 
I hope you had a great thrifting adventure!
Pretty good right? Uh...no!


First things first. Out with the shoulder pads.
There they go! 
Buh Bye!


Next, I wanted this dress to be weather versatile, so I decided to chop the sleeves.
 Now, I can wear it with a sweater or without.

Sleeves go snip!
Hem those raw edges!

It was super boring as is.
So, a little dye was in order....
Just  dipped the bottom to create an "ombre" effect.

Buuuuuuut.....It just looked like I got caught outside in the rain...bummer.
I had to improvise, or this $0.99 dress 
was headed back to the thrift store.

I did the next best thing.
I bleached it!


This time, I dunked the top and bottom in bleach.


It turned out much nicer.
I left the mid-length bottom hem alone. I thought it worked.
I like how you can  still see the color from the
 original dye job too.
The bleach pulls it all together!


Good morning pumpkin!

It's still chilly in these parts, so I threw on a cardi, and scarf.

Ahh, much better!

See you next time!



Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …