Skip to main content

Starry Night Dress

My husband bought me this amazing fabric from SPOONFLOWER
Kevin Likes it too!

He knows just the path to my heart...fabric! 

 I have had this  vintage dress in my closet for a while. It's just a wee bit too small in the hips.
(Story of my life)

Check out those buttons!
Complete with cat hair and all!

Such a pretty button!

I decided to combine these two beauties into one!
I started by picking apart the black dress at the waist.
Pick, Pick, Pick...and one episode of Downton Abbey.

I cut the fabric from a skirt portion of a pattern I had layin' around, and extended the length to a maxi dress. I measured 39 inches just to be safe, but I'm a shortie, and I had to trim off a bit of excess.

Right sides facing, and I sewed the sides together like so.

The pattern called for some flattering tummy hiding pleats, so I sewed a basting stitch just to hold it all together.

I put the top half of the severed dress into the new Starry Night skirt, and pinned, and sewed.

Flipped the skirt down to reveal my new dress!!!

It was the perfect dress to wear to my book club dinner. 


Good night kisses from my pookie!

Whatdya think?

Thanks for always taking my "after" pics Kenny!

It's always a hoot with my fabulous book club girls.

 This time we reserved the fancy "Wine Room" at a wonderful local restaurant. I was too busy laughing and eating with my homies, and I forgot to take more pics. Thank you Tara for taking some sweet shots!
(Photos that is!)

See you next time?

Please let me know what you think by clicking one of the boxes below.

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …