Skip to main content

Palette shelf DIY

          So, I found these palettes, and I wanted to get crafty with em'.

And when I say found... I mean scavenged, and offered extra credit
 to any of my students who could get one and bring it to me.

I recieved 2!
Awesome!!

I cut off the bottom part of the gray-ish  palette.
 A couple of my students helped me during study hall. 
Better than physics homework I guess? :)  
That made a sort-of-shelf with no bottom,
 so I took off another plank from the side and crudely nailed it to what is now the bottom.
Ta Da!

I borrowed my friend Mandi's electric sander 
(She's the physics teacher... shhhh.),
 and smoothed out those rough spots.
The bottom plank is really crudely nailed in, 
but it is secure, and safe! 
 I liked the rough and rustic-ness of it.
Thank you for your electric sander Mandi!


Then, I sealed it with a low odor clear coat varnish. I loved the way the wood looked after it was sealed. It really brought out the personality of the wood! All the imperfections, and colors!

 I tried to find a good place in my house for this beauty, but I knew it would have a better life in my coworker and friends,
 Kyle and Raechelle's house. So, I gifted it to them!
 (They were in the market for a basement bar shelf!)
Their 2 boys and my daughter are pals, so I will be able to visit the shelf whenever they let me!

They have an awesome basement, and I made their basement that much more awesome with this creation!! 

See you next time!



Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …