Skip to main content

Do the Peplum Polka!

I saw this.....

I loved the print. Dots and a bit of an optical illusion. It makes you a bit dizzy if you stare at it too long. 
I didn't try it on at Goodwill, but for $1.23, I took the chance. I thought I could wear it as-is because it was super cute!
The reason it is on my mannequin, well.... that is the story of my life: fits on top, but too tight on the bottom...don't even get me started on jeans...


I saw THIS ....


I bought mine at Goodwill for $1.23. A much better deal than the $21 price tag on the inspiration top.

I knew what I had to do! I took a big chop off the bottom.

Then, I seam ripped the sides of the dress all the way up to the elastic waistband.

I used the bottom scrap and made two triangles that will be my new side panels.

I did a little pinning and sewing of the triangles to the sides....

Hem up the bottom...

Perfect top paired with jeans to go to live theater with my family. It turned out to be a great Thanksgiving break!


Then we met my Dad and Step-mom out to lunch at a great local joint. 
(Photo bomb courtesy of my Dad!)
Looking at it now, I think I might take another inch off the bottom. What do you think?

What a great day!

See you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …