Skip to main content

I'm a 90's Chick!

I've been working on this one on and off for weeks now. I finally finished it, and I wanted to show you what I accomplished.

This was a $2.00 score! It really doesn't get much better than that!

This fabric was so soft! It was in great condition! Buttons up the back, weird side ties. Droopy arm holes.
It was HIDEOUS!

Right up my alley!


I then realized I was wearing it backwards! The buttons were supposed to be down the front. 
Oh well, I like it better this way anyhow.

Did I mention this has pockets????


I took up the shoulders about 2 inches.
 I Stitched those shoulders, then snipped off the extra fabric.
That made the arm pit droopiness considerably better!

It needed some length taken off the bottom too, so that got a snip, (about 7 inches of snip!)
 Those goofy side ties came off too.
Snip! Pick!

With the seven inch bottom scrap, I fashioned a kind-of-sort-of-sleeve from a dress pattern.
It didn't quite fit the pattern, but I did what I could.


I sewed the sleeves onto the dress, and they were more like
 cap sleeves, but that will do just fine.

There was still too much of the frumpiness, so I needed to take the dress in at the sides a bit more.
I was worried about losing the pockets, because a girl's gotta have her phone ya know?

I pushed on.....

To be honest, this dress sat for about a week because I was frustrated about the pocket situation. 

I decided to leave the bottom of the dress alone, but then
 I took in the bust area about another inch on each side.

I used a dress that fits well to roughly measure the distance to take in.

I kept the pockets!!

I threw on a belt and some black boots, and I was ready for the day! 
My peanut took my after pics for me! 
She's getting good at it!




Much better If I do say so!


See you next time!



Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …