Skip to main content

Shibori, Needle Felting, and Food Poisoning...OH MY!

     This year on March 17&18th I had the privilege of attending the National Art Education Convention for art teachers across the country. There were about 4700 art teachers in one place at one time! It was just amazing that NAEA was held in Chicago this year so I could easily attend. ComiCon was there too...talk about a creative happening!! So Amazing!!!

This year, I signed up for 2 workshops on Thursday that caught my attention. The first one was a Japanese Shibhori fabric dyeing class. We talked about how there is so much "waste fashion" in the world, and how much clothing really does go into the landfills. It was eye opening!!!

This workshop really hit home and I was so thankful that I had started another year of not buying new clothing. I CAN"T say that I will NEVER buy off the rack again, but I will definitely think more closely about where my clothing comes from.

Here are some pictures of the wonderful technique we were introduced to:


Practice that folding before you commit!


Wrap, fold, clip!

Dip!

C'mon Dip!

Say hi to my new friend JUDY!!!!



Dip baby dip!


Sweet Judy with her shibori folded masterpiece!


Say hi to another Shibori master: My new friend! McCALL!!! 

Please check out her YouTube channel from Mr. Otter Studios, THIS video is one of my favorites! I show it to my beginning painting students!!! They absolutely love it! She is part of my curriculum just by chance and whadya know... I got to sit right next to her at the shibori class!! 
Small world I tell ya! 
I made my own Shibori dyed fabric. I think I'll make something for my daughter...I'll let ya know.
I loved that technique and I can't wait to teach my students!

Next Workshop: Needle Felting with the magnificent Cassie Stephens

 Cassie is my super duper talented bloggin' buddy and my homie! She rules the art teacher blogging world, and I highly recommend you check out her world! Right HERE!

Here are some pics from my adventures in needle felting:





I mean really! 
Who else can pull off a Warhol inspired soup can dress AND hat to match...
 That SHE MADE of course!!!
This lady that's who!!!


She showed us some needle felted creations of her own.

This was a  super talented buncha teachers!








Cassie gave us all aprons to felt, but since I'm sort of a rebel, I decided to felt my own coat!!



Whadya think?!


Not too shabby a view from lakeside McCormick Place!

Next up: Dinner with more Art Teacher buddies
(Little did we know what was in store for us...)

Dinner selfie with Kathy!

That pretty much sums up my Thursday at the conference because after this cute selfie with Kathy, at a pretty-well-known steak house that has a pretty-well-known GRILL logo gave us ALL food poisoning!! It was the LETTUCE!!!!! Ewwwwww! 
I don't think I'll be going back there any time soon.

Some of us rallied and were able to attend a few of the workshops on Friday. I however yakked my guts out at McCormick Place and had to head back to the hotel. 
I never would have made it if it weren't for Kathy! 
A million times thank you!!!!
I owe ya one girlie!

See you next time!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Gown not just for Graduates Anymore

This discarded, and loved-no-more graduation gown was calling to me from the thrift store rack. It was perfect for this time of year when teachers say goodbye tearfully to some, and not-so-tearfully to others.  But we love them all anyway.  Heeeeey!  Over here!  Buy me and give me a new life!! So I did. Sally liked the dress much better once I picked off those sleeves! She thought it was a perfect resting spot. I chopped the bottom a bit, folded it twice because it was fray-fray-central, and I hemmed it all up.  I could use the chopped off bottom piece as a belt  or use an existing one.  Choices.... The dress is all white so this time, I decided to go with a darker brown belt,  and some metallic sandals. Congrats and good luck  to all the 2015 graduates!  I'm ready for the ceremony! See you next time!

Red Romper Red Romper

My beautiful daughter took this picture of this less than beautiful dress. I thrifted it for a few dollars a long while back. I picked apart the skirt andplaced a pants pattern in its place. Picked off the sleeves and cuffs. Whole lotta sleeves! Extra fabric to make a sash belt. I found the center of the cuffs and pinned it for reference. You will see what I do with them! Bias tape around the sleeves and attached the cuffs. Check out the sleeves! Its actually the cuffs! I love my new romper! See you next time!

Studio Trashed to Re-Fashed

I am so grateful to have this amazing space in my basement to create, sew, paint, nap ( Ha! Nap! Wishful thinking), whatever my heart desires, but it has become overwhelmed with STUFF!  All stuff I need mind you...but I think it might be time for a studio-refashion! Look at this mess! More mess.   I have a chandelier in my studio,  thanks to my Sister- in-Law and Bro-in-Law  updating their dining room. Recycle all the way baby!   I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of art....there's worse things for sure! My In-Laws had their kitchen upgraded, and they had a few extra cabinets left over.  They are super awesome, and let me have them for my studio! Wahoo! STORAGE!!!!   The hubs and I hung them up over spring break. That was hilarious because neither of us really knew what to do. We did it though! And no fighting believe it or not!  A little rearranging. A bit of organization, and Voila! Still messy, but a huge improvement! See you