Skip to main content

Ahoy Matey! Tote Transformation!

I found this Jim Tillett Print at my local thrift store for 5.99. It was 'green' ticket half price, so I only paid $3.00. SCORE!

I found out that the late Jim Tillett and his wife moved to
St. Thomas in 1959 as newlyweds.

They purchased an abandoned Danish farm to serve as 

home for Jim Tillett's silkscreen studio.

They also had a boutique that sold goods and fashions 

made from his silkscreened designs.

All the way from St. Thomas to Illinois! Howdya' like that!

Some of his prints are selling anywhere from $35.00 to 

$199.00! Pretty cool!!! 

This is an amazing find, but I wanted to transform this print 

into something, 

and since his prints were not selling at a life-altering price, I 

decided to go for it!

Half Price!

I removed the canvas from the mat. It was a lovely print, and I think it will make a great tote! 

I took out a few different fabrics I had in my stash to see what would work.

I decided on the bright blue for the outside. The brown twill for the inside, and dark blue corduroy for the handles and an inside pocket.

The first thing I did was sew the outside pockets, and then sew the pockets to the outside of the bag. Then, I sewed the outer and inner lining seperately. Leave an opening in the lining at the bottom to turn the bag right side out.
Next, I sewed the handles and sandwiched them between the outer bag and the lining. 
I sewed it all together, flip it right side out, sew up the opening in the lining.

The bag was perfect to bring some things to school with me.
So much room, and great big pockets!

I LOVE it and I can't wait to use it again!

See you next time.

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …