Skip to main content

Leslie's Love of Sewing


I saw a skirt that my high school friend Leslie, posted on a popular social media site and I just fell in love with the cut, the print and the way she styled it. Leslie looked so glam, and I had to see if I could make something like that too (imitation is the highest form of flattery). I'm working on something as we speak...

We graduated from Lane Technical High School in Chicago in the 90's *cough cough*... not too long ago. I had no idea about her skill of sewing back then, but I was a ditzy teen who thought the world revolved around her. I've heard that's a common trait among teens. LOL!

I was so interested in her sewing journey and since I have only just begun, I hope to instill a love of sewing into Olivia just as Leslie's mom has for her, and for Leslie to pass on to her sweet Nola.

Here's Leslie's story:

I’m the daughter of a seamstress, so I I had no choice but to learn how to sew.  My mother first taught me how to sew by hand when I was maybe 7 or 8 - one of my first projects was a teddy bear I wanted to make for my friend’s newborn cousin.   It looked a hot mess, but it was made with love!  She quickly graduated me to the machine, and began a love/hate relationship with the craft.  My love for sewing took off in high school; I would often make outfits for myself from the remnants my mom kept in the big wooden trunk she inherited from her grandmother.  One of my favorite pieces was a sleeveless red, white, and black color block mini dress… color blocking was all the rage in the 90’s.  One of the most special pieces made was my prom dress.  My mom took the lead on that… it was way too advanced and important to be trusted to me.  But I remember being in charge of cutting the pattern from three different wedding gown designs, and having to dye the stretch sheer that perfect shade of green between kelly and forest.  

During college I abandoned sewing; who had the time?  I didn’t come back to it again until the early 2000’s when I made an outfit for myself for my company’s summer gala.  Though I technically made clothes, it far under-delivered on what I expected the finished garment to look like.  In the years that followed, I thought about returning to sewing, but “nah” it just wasn’t for me.  Fast forward to 2016 - and I’m trying to find the perfect thing to wear to my daughter’s school fundraiser.  I wanted something that made a statement and scoured the city looking for the perfect Ankara print maxi skirt.  Nothing really caught my eye and I was running out of time.  The night before the big night, I decided that I had to make my own skirt.  I mean… it’s a simple circle skirt, right?  Making a quick 14 mile trip to buy the perfect fabric and tacking on an additional 20 mi to borrow a sewing machine from a friend, with my mother’s help I cranked out this beauty the day of the event.  I was worry if I still remembered what to do, but lo and behold - it IS like riding a bike.  For a split second the familiar feeling of being back on the machine had me contemplating making African print maxi skirts professionally… but then I realized I’m too much of a perfectionist to do this full time.  But I do think I’ll invest in my own machine for whenever the mood strikes again :-)


 I’d like to do more and maybe make some pieces for my little one.  It was fun and frustrating at the same time.  But I wasn’t prepared for how much I missed it.  I hope to someday teach Nola how to sew!





What a great piece Les!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and my blog. Maybe we can get together soon and you can show me a thing or two....or twelve!

See you next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graduation Gown not just for Graduates Anymore

This discarded, and loved-no-more graduation gown was calling to me from the thrift store rack. It was perfect for this time of year when teachers say goodbye tearfully to some, and not-so-tearfully to others.  But we love them all anyway.  Heeeeey!  Over here!  Buy me and give me a new life!! So I did. Sally liked the dress much better once I picked off those sleeves! She thought it was a perfect resting spot. I chopped the bottom a bit, folded it twice because it was fray-fray-central, and I hemmed it all up.  I could use the chopped off bottom piece as a belt  or use an existing one.  Choices.... The dress is all white so this time, I decided to go with a darker brown belt,  and some metallic sandals. Congrats and good luck  to all the 2015 graduates!  I'm ready for the ceremony! See you next time!

Red Romper Red Romper

My beautiful daughter took this picture of this less than beautiful dress. I thrifted it for a few dollars a long while back. I picked apart the skirt andplaced a pants pattern in its place. Picked off the sleeves and cuffs. Whole lotta sleeves! Extra fabric to make a sash belt. I found the center of the cuffs and pinned it for reference. You will see what I do with them! Bias tape around the sleeves and attached the cuffs. Check out the sleeves! Its actually the cuffs! I love my new romper! See you next time!

Studio Trashed to Re-Fashed

I am so grateful to have this amazing space in my basement to create, sew, paint, nap ( Ha! Nap! Wishful thinking), whatever my heart desires, but it has become overwhelmed with STUFF!  All stuff I need mind you...but I think it might be time for a studio-refashion! Look at this mess! More mess.   I have a chandelier in my studio,  thanks to my Sister- in-Law and Bro-in-Law  updating their dining room. Recycle all the way baby!   I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of art....there's worse things for sure! My In-Laws had their kitchen upgraded, and they had a few extra cabinets left over.  They are super awesome, and let me have them for my studio! Wahoo! STORAGE!!!!   The hubs and I hung them up over spring break. That was hilarious because neither of us really knew what to do. We did it though! And no fighting believe it or not!  A little rearranging. A bit of organization, and Voila! Still messy, but a huge improvement! See you