Skip to main content

Stayin' Alive

I found these two lovely articles of clothing at the thrift store. They were both in great condition. No stains or rips. They seemed fairly unused buuuuuut, the top was not so flattering, and the pants were a bit too big, and just the wrong cut for my body shape. 

Do I look like I belong in Saturday Night Fever?

That collar! Those white pants!

I started by chopping off those three quarter length cuffs and making it into a half sleeve.

The collar needed some chopping too!

I folded this fabric over twice and hemmed. 
(It would be fray-city if I didn't)

The front of the top was too big and I decided to dart the front.
I put the top on inside out, and pinched the extra fabric.
Then I measured, pinned and sewed.

The white pants needed to become skinny pants.

I measured and pinned, and chopped and sewed.

I usually blog about all my success with a re-fashion. However, things happen. These white pants just didn't work out. I want to show my sewing successes and my creations, but I think it's important to talk about the not-so-successes, and when to stop a project and just move on. This is that time. 

Soooooo, I will just be showing you the top I re-fashioned.
I wore my newly re-fashioned top to spend time with our neighbors on the Fourth of July, 
and see the fireworks! 
What is that strange thing clipped to my jeans you ask? Well,
my daughter put her hair clip on my jeans, and I had no idea! Ha! So I just left it. 

See you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …