Skip to main content

Diamond Girl Jacket

 Now that school's out, I've had a chance to go through some of my clothes, and I was able to fill a large garbage bag to donate! I did set aside a few things to hopefully transform into something fun!

I have this diamond sweatshirt that I bought from Kohl's a million years ago. I love it, and I wore it a few times, but it just didn't have that wow factor that I was looking for. I was thinking it would have a better life as a jacket.
 Uh oh....That means a zipper........................
My diamond sweatshirt ready to be transformed!

I found a zipper....yikes!

I started by cutting off the cuffs of the sweatshirt because I was going to make my own. I wanted them to be a bit longer, but also more comfy.

I chopped the hemband as well.

Then I found the middle of the shirt and cut right up the front! 
SNIP!

I could have stopped here and made it a groovy cardigan, but I really wanted a jacket.

I made some cuffs and a hem band out of some black knit I had left over
 and sewed those on with a zigzag stitch.




I took the old hem band and used that as my new collar!


After about a hundred YouTube videos on how to sew a zipper, I went for it and pinned my zip to the fabric.


I realized that my zipper was too long.....more YouTube videos on how to shorten a zipper...




Just the right size...
I sewed it all up and I was ready to take my new jacket to the movies with my fam!






See you next time!


Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!


I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.



I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?



Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

New Makes In the Past Few Months

I haven't stopped making things these last few months. I've just slacked on the blogging. I will show you all the things I've made, and do a quick wrap up of all the stuffs! It's like crafting Cliffs Notes. HA!

I made this vest with some vintage wool from Paris I scored at an estate sale.  (There was a tag that said Paris, France) Easy sew, but time consuming fringe around the edges. That has to be done by hand.  Super cute, and I'll probably make another vest in a different fabric.

My daughter and I made some "Forever Cacti" with felt, rocks, paint, and some creativity. Fun afternoon!


My daughter's classroom Valentines were fun to do! A photo, a hole punch, and some suckers!




I made some killer pants with some fabric at that same estate sale. I used the Paperboy Pants Pattern by Wardrobe by Me.  https://wardrobebyme.com/collections/wardrobe-by-me-pants-and-skirts-pdf-pattern-collection/products/paperboy-pleated-pants 



I spiffed up our bathroom with s…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!




I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.



I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.


I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.



I also bought parachute clips and …