Skip to main content

Momma needs a New Pair of Shoes

Have you ever started a project, sorta get bored/blocked/forgot about it- only to start a new project half way through the other one? Me too.

     This project started many months ago (about 10) this past summer in 2016 when my family and I took a road trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto. I knew I wanted to bring a road trippin' project on our travels, but I couldn't make a decision on the perfect project.
A pair of decorated shoes seemed to be a fun idea so I brought along a pair of cheap-o sneakers, some embroidery thread, needle and fabric markers.

I really didn't have a solid idea of what I wanted to do. I just sorta went for it!
I thought I'd get my feet wet (no pun intended) with the embroidery, so I started easy and on an easier area like the tongue of the shoes.

A little pink stripe will be nice!

I embroidered that pink stripe on the other shoe, then, with snacks, 
a nap, a coupla pit stops, and before I knew it,
 4 hours later into our trip we saw the border bridge!!! Yay!!

I was pre-occupied with road trippin, navigating, husband, snacks, and a 6 year old, 
so the shoes were put away for a bit.

While we were in Canada, we went to a pretty cool city art museum and they had an exhibit of Native Canadian artifacts. I was totally inspired by the shapes and stylized flowers and bead work of these vests and bags.

Just gorgeous, and I was totally inspired!

Four days later, on our way back to the U.S. 
I used my inspiration from the Canadian Native artifacts 
to draw and embroider more on my shoes.

We also saw an amazing glass blowing Chihuly exhibit, that found its 
way into some shoe inspiration too!

Aquarium colors!!!!

The Falls, snail friends, and my daughter's first experience with Ethiopian food.

Inspiration can be everywhere! 

I picked the shoes up again, and finished a few details. I am sick of this Midwest winter, and I want to wear my Spring/Summer (now 2017) shoes and frolic in the weather!
I wore them to school. They were perfect to wear on Friday (jeans day) since the weather is getting better!

See you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …