Skip to main content

Photo Tunic Dress

     I have been teaching beginning digital photography for a couple of years now. We are learning about macro (close-up) photography. I have also found a great website that can turn any digital photo or drawing into fabric! (I have talked about before) I combined those two loves, and bought one yard of fabric with a photo taken by yours truly!!! Check it out HERE!

     I was ecstatic to get the fabric, and I couldn't wait to get started! I created this dress the same way I made the Mona Lisa dress.

My photo is of some oil pastels in a bowl in my classroom.
I traced a free t-shirt pattern I found online, and I just extended the length as far as the one yard would let me.
I used light blue thread on the sleeves. I like the way contrasting thread colors look.

I used my seam gauge for the sleeves and neckline to make sure I was
 getting everything even-Steven.

And there you have it! 

O.K. it's 7:15 a.m. and I'm ready for the day.
I'm waiting for students to arrive.
Macro photography here we come!!

Still waiting....

I had fun with my camera remote. Can you tell?

See you next time!

Popular posts from this blog

Quite Possibly My Greatest Challenge!

This beautiful princess dress from the 80's goes well with my messy kitchen. I bought it for $6.00 at my local thrift store. It is more than I usually spend on something I didn't quite know what to do with, but I bought it anyway.
Bows, lace and blue satin! YES!

I picked apart the entire dress to see if it would inspire me.
That's a whole lotta fabric!

The sleeves themselves could have been another dress! OY!

I have a raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern that inspired me.

With all that sleeve fabric, it wasn't long enough, so I had to add some to the bottom.

I've also had this lion fabric for a while waiting for the perfect project, and this was it! Can you tell what I'm using it for?

Pin, sew, repeat.

I attached a zipper, some navy knit fabric for the collar, cuffs and hem band. 
I MADE A BOMBER JACKET Y'ALL! This is quite possibly my greate

Secret Agent to Spiffy Outerwear

Thrift store find.  It was linen.  That's all this really had going for it. My husband helped me out with my "before" pics right before I headed out to work out... ....well, that was a mouthful. 
YUCK! This linen sits weird. This linen looks weird. It's just YUCK!

It needed a good snip, so that's what I gave it! I cut it right above the pockets. I cut the sleeves to a 3/4 sleeve length too. 

Snippy Snip!

That's really all I did. Then I washed it....... A HA!!!!!!
After I washed it, the jacket frayed at the edges from where I gave it a snip.  I LOVED it!!!!
I decided I wanted to change the color of my new jacket somehow. But, how? What dye should I use? What color will be nice?  There were so many decisions to consider. I decided that the jacket screamed to be a light wash denim look.
GRAB THE BLEACH!!!! Ok...It wasnt the light wash denim look....but...
Low and behold it sorta turned ORANGEY!!! I love it even MORE!!!
I sewed a straight stitch above each…

Velour Housedress Refash

The house-dress of all house-dresses! Velour, long, comfy, all the things right?!
It is a fantastic thrift store find, but I'm not quite ready to be catapulted into my 80's lounging in a velour housedress....well maybe I am. BUT NOT TODAY!

This pretty royal house-dress is getting a great big snip right at the bottom!

I made a pattern that was 14"x 18".  Then I rounded the corners to create the shape I wanted.

I picked off that ruffle collar, and picked out the zipper.

I had this really cool boat fabric I picked up last summer at an estate sale. I'm turning the bottom of this house-dress into a soft and fuzzy backpack!

 cut out: 2 Velour, 2 Lining, 2 Interfacing
Interfacing ironed to the wrong side of the lining.

Bottom pieces. Velour, lining, and interfacing

My wonderful Aunt Esther gave me some suede a while back, and I thought now is as perfect a time as any to use it! I cut 2 strips 22 inches long, and tapered at the bottom.

I also bought parachute clips and …